The Center for Scholarly Technology supports the full spectrum of online teaching and learning. In collaboration with organizations such as the USC Center for Excellence in Teaching and the USC Libraries, we offer assistance to instructors in:
- Using USC’s Blackboard LMS for course websites to provide resources, communication, and course administration, and to enable course continuity in a crisis
- Implementing blended learning approaches such as the Inverted (“Flipped”) Classroom
- Developing online learning components for courses
- Developing practices and technology skills for teaching completely online courses
Our learning design and technology consultants are available to discuss instructional strategies and the use of technologies such as:
- Preparing to teach online in case of an emergency
- Engaging students in an online environment
- Providing peer and instructor feedback and annotations (audio, video, or text-based comments and dialogue)
- Conducting synchronous online class meetings
- Recording lectures for asynchronous viewing
- Developing effective online assignments and activities that support course goals
- Providing students with opportunities for self-assessment
- Introducing interactivity through online discussions and other strategies
CST also hosts webinars and on-campus sessions for faculty interested in developing and discussing online teaching practices and technologies. Look for upcoming workshops and events on our Events page.
Online Learning at USC
While USC does not offer online undergraduate degrees, it does provide undergraduate students a rich residential experience that leverages technology and a global network to extend learning beyond the physical boundaries of Los Angeles.
USC maintains a growing roster of some 75 online professional master’s degree programs and certificates. And more are being added every day. Many utilize state-of-the-art, interactive technologies to deliver robust and multimedia-rich educational content while meeting the specific instructional requirements of each academic discipline, the high standards of the university, and society’s need for well-trained professionals.
USC Continuing Education
Continuing Education is for non-admitted students wishing to further their education for personal or professional reasons. For information about online certificates, programs, and non-credit courses, visit USC Continuing Education.
This program offers unique and engaging online learning opportunities that are freely available to the public and highlight USC’s faculty expertise and research initiatives.